Monday, April 18, 2011

Helping with Housing

So, crazy. I feel like I am dreaming as I look around and realize that a few plane rides and 36 hours in transit has landed me in a whole new world. I'm once again reminded at just how small this world is and that the problems, conflicts and struggles of other nations are but a few hours away from us. I'm amazed at how easy it is for us to ignore and secretly be grateful that we are not connected more closely to the fight.

On the other hand I am also staring straight at the fact that there are so many offerings in the so called far reaches of the planet and they are so easy to access. Each place offers a beauty, very special in unique ways as well as cultures, customs and a way of life so different from the next that the idea of basic needs and wants is up for debate.

As a traveller I am often surprising the fight to share my tales, adventures and wisdom acquired through the 30 plus countries I have visited and explored. Spanning the gap between the worlds richest and poorest I have taken with me a variety of first hand experiences and knowledge so raw and truthful no description could do it justice.


......and so here I am in Malawi, Africa one of the poorest nations in the world. In the background of this blog, the sounds of song from the locals drift through the air and are complimented by the sounds of the jungle that relax me so. A soft breeze floats through the warm dry air and I am content to be far away from the snow I've left behind at home.

The primary purpose of my trip here was to cleanse my soul and lift my spirits. Over the years I have learned the best way for me to do this is through service to others. I am normally fairly private about my little acts of kindness as I feel egotistical or selfserving when I share them with others and this takes away from the feelings I hope to derive from doing such things. This is why for many this is the first you will hear of my adventure into Africa to build homes with Habitat for Humanity.

It's important for me to note that in order to allow for this oppurtunity there are a number of people who came together with a tremendous amount of love and support to make this happen. I am grateful and touched by this as I am able to make yet another dream a reality...So thanks to Dave, my monsters (Summit, Trekker and Journey) lending out Mom is tough on the little ones, Alli who will try to hold all of my hats as best as she can, Sharon (the orange Grandma) who we flew in from Parksville to watch the kids, Pat (Grandma) for postponing travel plans to aid in the care of the children and running Slateworks, Mindy who has taken on a tremendous amount of work in order to allow me this time and to all others who will be roped into contributing in some form or another as I know there will be many.

After touchdown in Malawi, I met the driver Fred, who would take me and a few others out to a girls school. This was a private trip seperate from Habitat for Humanity so logistically it was a struggle to organize. However it was worth it, every penny spent, every ounce of jet legged energy expended.

A quick stop at the very civilized Shop Rite for food and supplies and we were off. A very bumpy ride and a couple hours through the amazing country side and we were there. I was amazed at the size of the grounds and the amount of progress realized by a very small group of dedicated people.

The school which was originally publicly funded and located four districts over about 5 hours by car, was shut down in the middle of the school year because the government no longer wanted to fund a school for girls. A teacher working in the school from Victoria, B.C. (Kristy) and a local teacher (Memory) decided this was unacceptable. A 5 hour drive and alot of determination later I stumbled into the same group of girls that had their education stolen from them and that came together to get it back. They will be the first to graduate this year and the excitement is enough to make even the most hardened person tear.

I don't ask about the scars I see all over their beautiful faces and bodies. They do not talk about them either, instead they tell me all that makes them happy in their lives right now. I receive a gentle yet painful reminder on the importance of living in the moment.

I sit and help to bind books and chat with some of the girls, most of who did not speak a word of English before attending the school. I am impressed with the fact that they comprehend so well and speak so fluently after such a short amount of time. Even joking with me, I loved it. I asked them to teach me some ketchwan and the group collectively giggled at my attempts to learn a simple greeting. I am tested on my knowledge a few hours later and fail miserably. I've decided to focus instead on local slang as it seems easier to manage, plus I'm trying to blend.

I move on from book binding as I hear there is some sanding and painting going on in one of the new dorms that is under construction. They gladly accept my help and I begin to work away. Of course it is difficult to sand the plaster and cement with a small corner of sand paper I've been allotted and even more difficult to apply the very thinned out oil based paint evenly using as little as possible. I'm ashamed as I think of the Reno bin that sat out front of my house overflowing just weeks ago. The unbalance that exists for me in this world at that moment is overwhelming.

As we are driving through the country back to Lilongwe, the capital of Malawi, I'm engrossed in the scenes as they pass me by through the window. I look at the struggle each person absorbs just to make it through the day. I let a side of myself that I don't like very much think something horrible along the lines of why do they bother. Even children as young as 3 walk with heavy loads balanced on their heads. I think of how lucky my own children are and wish I could be the one to right all that seems wrong.

However one thought leads to the next and I wonder if my life would truly be perceived as better? Though we want for different things we are always longing for more, they pace themselves, work does not own them, the clock is a foreign object and most certainly the idea of living a life so enslaved would be nauseating. There are way to many days when I don't even have a chance to ask my husband how his day was or I feel acute stress because my kids want me to read another book but I know I have one million other things I fell I HAVE to do. To me there is less noise and life is simpler but to them maybe that just means harder.

This is all to say that I do find myself strangely at peace in this foreign land. I feel blessed, rich in so many ways, and am more grateful than I've been in a long time for all that I have and all that is available to me. I can dream anything I want and the only thing holding me back from going forward are my own excuses. It is not the same for the people of this country especially the women. I feel lucky to have lived my life in such an accepting environment.

This country it's people and this land have touched me deeply and have taken hold of me in a profound way. I hope it only pushes me to do more for myself and others. I am excited to start the Habitat for Humanity build tommorrow and am ecstatic that our team here are enough to be able to allow us to work on two homes.



Until next time my friends, feeling great and appreciating the moment! Sending love and motivation your way......



Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment