Monday, April 25, 2011

From Malawi with Love

Hello from Africa,

Things are so unique here, I don't even know where to start!

I guess I will tell you that I am writing to you after a shower in the dark, yes today there was water, though it was cold, but no power. I've just navigated myself back into my room around the tarantula that greeted me on my front step and have tucked myself as tightly as possible into my bug net, laden my body with deet and swallowed another nightmare inducing malaria pill.

Things really could not be better. I'm exhausted deep into my bones and hoping I can stay up long enough to finish my note.

The builds are going really well, we are doing two houses and I am proud of both the work we are doing and the progress we have made. We started with the foundation and we are know finishing the outside walls and starting to work on the gables. We have doors and windows framed in and are starting to work on the top portion of the inside walls. We just have to get the twigs and tree trunks cut length wise into a fine balance to form our scaffolding.

To get to this stage there was a lot of digging in the dirt with a tool likely last seen most places in the 1930's, a wheel barrow that will barely wheels. There are only so many people who can handle the heavy labour so we are on it most days, all day! I am happy that we are such an integral part of the build because I was not so sure we would be when I considered my expectations for this experience. But we are definitely working hard. I'm near exhaustion by the end of each day, but it is a really good tired.

I have laid enough mud bricks that I now feel completely confident in coming home and building a brick house. I may start with a shed or playhouse and see how it goes from there.

I am working with a great team of people. I came to Africa for a number of reasons but have found an added bonus in meeting a number of interesting and inspirational people. I love to hear about the many walks of life people are engaged in.

Some of the things that I love:
- we are making a difference here
- the children are so precious and there conditions are enough to break any heart.

That's all for now, take good care. Until next time,
*marie

No comments:

Post a Comment